Thursday, October 8, 2009

Where are your Chemo Caps?



"Jen, where are your Chemo Caps?"
I was asked this question at a Rotary meeting this morning and it took me off guard. My quick answer was that kids and adults are already wearing Kozy Kaps while they are dealing with chemo treatments.

I tried to explain to Steve that I didn't think it was right to say that our Kozy Kaps are Chemo Caps. He was almost frustrasted with my response.

The Little Hat Company is a unique business in many ways. We have not taken the traditional path as most companies starting out. We laugh together, we cry together,and we sew hats together.

I woke up this morning at 3:00am, than 4, than 5, and then finally just after 6:00am I rolled over and new I needed to get up. Thursday mornings mean Rotary. My husband's day off so he gets the kids ready for school. It's funny that I fought off the idea of joining Rotary mostly for silly reasons for quite some time. Just ask Mark. But since joining Rotary I have discovered more about myself and my business in such a short time then I would have ever thought possible.

I'm starting to get to know more names and also developing friendships with more of the members. I know what you're thinking... I was right there with you. What would I have in common with a group that is heavily male dominated and retired. The truth is that for most of my career I've always worked with men and I grew up as the youngest of five. My brother is 15 years older than I so actually I fit right in with Rotary.

When Steve (I'm embarrassed to say I don't know his last name) came up to me at the morning meeting I was a little taken back. He came right over and asked if I was The Little Hat Lady. I said yes. He then asked me - "Where are your Chemo Caps? Don't you have Chemo Caps? I looked all over the site and couldn't find them."

I knew that we did and that people are wearing our kozy kaps while they are going through Chemo treatments but it is something that I have always hesitated putting out there in the forefront of our business. It is such a personal horrific disease that I felt it was dishonorable to try to make a buck at someone's expense. In the store once I heard that someone was dealing with cancer I would end up giving them one or more of our Kozy Kaps as a gift.

Steve was obviously frustrated at my inability to explain why we didn't make it easy for people to find "Chemo Caps" on our site. He shared with me that his wife had battled cancer and had hated wearing the scarf on her head for warmth and protection. It made me think of my sister who had battled breast cancer twice and had been frustrated looking for options to keep warm and cover her bare head in public.

So maybe I'm not getting it...maybe if we make a product offers a solution to a difficult problem I should be telling everybody in the world about it.

When we first made it Kozy Kaps it was for the intent of keeping little noggins warm in New England. We planted a seed and since then Kozy Kaps have served a multitude of purposes. In the picture above my daughter is wearing one playing soccer.

Life is crazy hard sometimes and who knows what the answer is...I'm just thankful for the people I've met building The Little Hat Company and the people I've met in Rotary. I'm more thankful for the stories I've heard and the lessons I've learned.

Smile and find joy in today!

Jen Houghton

P.S. Here is a letter we received about one of our Kozy Kaps "Chemo Caps"

Hi Jen,
I went to Pgh to visit my mom this weekend. She just loves her caps. They keep her warm at night and comfy during the day when her wig gets uncomfortable. She wore one in the hospital over the weekend and got lots of compliments. My Dad likes the blue one because it makes her eyes look blue and she likes the pink one because it makes her feel happy.
She thinks Amy's Treat sounds like a great org. We will definitely be donating.
Thanks for sending them to her - it's the little things like a comfy cap that matter when you don't feel well. Cancer Sucks - they hand out buttons with that slogan on it at her cancer center - you are doing something good to make it suck a little less. Thanks!
Sarah

2 comments:

Curtis Picard said...

Great post, Jen.

Geneve Hoffman said...

Thanks for the story Jen! Great blog.

Your story makes me think of branding/marketing issues that every business, large and small, faces. Check out Seth Godin's book, The Purple Cow (about creating remarkable, not just good, products that the right people seek out). He talks about "being outrageous once and awhile, just to see what it's like to [bring your business to the] edge." Calling the hats Chemo Hats instead of Kozy Kap is just that scenario..and it's apparently viral marketing as well (the best kind!), in that it came not only from a customer (instead of high paid ad agency), but from a cancer survivor.

If you come from a place of caring, honestly, kindness, and sincerity (with a little dose of humor), which you obviously do based on this post, a name like "Chemo Cap" could be your purple cow.

I need to come into your store! It's been on my list since my 2 year old was born!!