Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Looking for a Sponsor


I'm sitting in my living room - Aaron, my son, is on the couch he came home sick from school today. It's late but I can't help feeling the answer to all our questions is right in front of me and I'm just not seeing. We have had so many amazing experiences since I sewed the first hat nearly three years ago but we all know that we are destined to be a National Brand and want to get there sooner than later. Something made me reach out to an old colleague tonight. I had been recruited by him from one of my first jobs doing business development on the Internet. OK - for real how could that be ten years ago. I still feel so young and inexperienced inside - no grays Thank You God! But with three children and a small business I'm ready to push through the next level. Marriott told me something on the phone that I've know all along. He told me to do what I've already done countless times for businesses that I've worked for. Somehow when it comes to doing it for yourself mental block begin to appear out of nowhere. We laughed about our memories of running to appointments in NYC and him needing to purchase a leather jacket to feel younger before meeting a client or the dinner conversations on Broadway that seemed to come out of thin air with our boss at the time. Marriott now runs a $350 million dollar company and is happy. He's happy not because of the money he had all of it before he's happy because he's doing what he loves and what he is good at. He told me that I have forgotten what I do best and what makes me happy in business. I need to go big. I've been caught up in the small town mentality of letting daily sales determine my level of success. That's not who I am. I like to reach out into our big world and help make things happen. I love to see who and what I can connect to help build a successful strategy and business relationship. After being on the phone with Marriott tonight I know what I need to do. This week I'm going to spend my time and energy finding the perfect celebrity/large corporate sponsor for The Little Hat Company. We are a fabulous little company with a proven product and a story that reaches out to people and touches their heart in the right place. Now we just need a bigger pair of legs to help us get to the next level. I've done it before but this time I won't be doing it for someone else it will be for our company, our town, and our future. How great does that feel?

No comments: